Ashitaba (also know as Angelica Keiskei) is a native Japanese apiaceous plant that has its origin on Hachijo Island, Japan. The inhabitants of Hachijo Island are well known for their longevity and good health. Ashitaba has been an integral part of their diet for hundreds of years. It has been taken as health food and also utilized as medical herb.
Ashitaba means “Tomorrow Leaf” in Japanese. Its vital life force is so strong that it is believed to grow new leaf tomorrow if you were to pick one of its leaves today. Due to its rich nutrition and remarkable healing effects, Ashitaba gained its fine reputation as longevity grass.
Evidence of Anti-Diabetic Properties in Ashitaba
There are mounting evidence that suggest Ashitaba has anti-diabetic properties. Researches done by Biotechnology Research Laboratories, Takara Bio Inc and Japan Bio Science Lab Co. Ltd. have shown that Ashitaba has displayed anti-diabetic activities due to the presence of Chalcones Derived from Ashitaba plant.
Below are comprehensive research papers which support anti diabetic properties of Ashitaba:
- Anti-diabetic Activities of Chalcones Derived from Ashitaba, Angelica keiskei
- Angelica keiskei extract improves insulin resistance and hypertriglyceridemia in rats fed a high-fructose drink
- Antidiabetic Activities of Chalcones Isolated from a Japanese Herb, Angelica keiskei
- Six new chalcones from Angelica keiskei inducing adiponectin production in 3T3-L1 adipocytes
- Antidiabetic effect and safety of long-term ingestion of “Ashitaba” (Angelica Keiskei) Powder containing Chalcone (4HD) on borderline mild hyperglycemia
- Anti-metabolic syndrome action of Ashitaba Chalcone Powder
Ashitaba as part of diabetic diet
Ashitaba has many beneficial properties – these are just some of the most useful properties to maintain health for a diabetic:
- Ashitaba helps regulate blood sugar and promotes metabolism.
- Ashitaba contains chlorophyl which promotes wound healing.
- Ashitaba stimulates Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) which alleviates peripheral neuropathy (a common neurological disorder resulting from damage to the peripheral nerves, which originate from the brain and spinal cord) – a common side affect of diabetes.
- Ashitaba aids in weight control
- Ashitaba improves vision
- Ashitaba reduces blood pressure
- Ashitaba regulates cholesterol levels
- Ashitaba enhances liver and kidney functions
- Ashitaba acts as an effective diuretic to remove toxic waste from the body.