The digestive system is a fascinating and essential part of our body that plays a vital role in breaking down the food we consume, extracting nutrients, and eliminating waste. Comprising a series of organs, glands, and processes, the digestive system ensures that our bodies receive the energy and nutrients necessary for growth, development, and overall well-being.
10 Interesting Facts About Our Digestive System:
- On average, our stomach holds about 2 liters of content
- Our stomach contains about 35 million small digestive glands
- Our stomach produces about 2.5 liters of gastric juice daily
- We produce about 1 liter of saliva every day
- Our liver performs 500 different functions
- Our liver is the largest and heaviest internal organ and weighs about 1.6 kg
- On average, it takes about 8 seconds for our food to travel down the food pipe
- Food will get into your stomach even if you stand on your head
- Our large intestine is about 6 feet and our small intestine is 21 feet long
- Our liver is the only organ in our body that is able to regenerate itself completely even after being removed almost completely.